How many calories burned with bench press?
According to Harvard Health Publishing, a 125-pound individual burns between 180 and 360 calories for every hour of weight lifting. A 185-pound individual burns between 266 and 532 calories per hour.
You know that bench press activates your chest muscles and with the right reps and diet can add size and you know that weight loss or gain depends on a simple calculation or calories in versus calories out, but how many calories are burned with bench press.
- 1 How many calories does the average person burn during bench press?
- 2 Why is there such a large range of calories burned with bench press?
- 3 What else do we know about lifting to burn calories?
- 4 How can you increase the number of calories burned during bench press?
- 5 So how many calories are burned during bench press?
How many calories does the average person burn during bench press?
Firstly calories burned depend on your own metabolism, how much you weight, how hard you work, the tempo of your reps and of course how heavy you lift so its not easy to give a definitive answer as to how many calories are burned during bench press.
The average answer is 45 calories per 15 set of bench press, or for a 185 pound person an average hourly calorie burn of between 266 and 532 calories per hour.
Why is there such a large range of calories burned with bench press?
As we’ve already intimated, there are so many different factors which affect how many calories you burn during any exercise but adding in weightlifting to the mix then the variables increase and this in turn reduces the accuracy of the calorie burn estimation, which explains why there is such a varying range of calories from 266 to double. Other estimates suggest that a vigorous workout session will burn between 90 and 133 calories in a 30 minute session
What else do we know about lifting to burn calories?
One common theme around calorie estimates for weightlifting is that it continues to burn calories long after the work out has stopped in an after burn effect whilst the muscles heal themselves from the tears they sustain during a weights session.
In addition to this it is well known that muscles are little power houses which burn more calories at rest than fat, so building up more muscle actually allows you to burn more calories in your day to day life even when you are no where near the gym. Because it takes more calories to power these muscles your metabolism increases to ensure you have enough fuel to keep these muscles in good condition.
How can you increase the number of calories burned during bench press?
The most important thing you can do to maximize your calorie burn during a bench press is to focus on muscle endurance, that means slowing down your tempo, and increasing your reps as its the total time your muscles are under tension that burns calories and is more important than the actual load you lift, although don’t drop too low as this will not enhance your results.
This goes hand in hand with the second important thing you can do which is ti increase intensity, this means keeping your rest breaks short, enough time to catch your breathe and make sure you can go into the next set safely but not enough time to catch up on the latest on social media.
So how many calories are burned during bench press?
Its a wide estimated range dependent on so may different factors but for a 185 pound person its between 266 and 532 calories per hour.
- Scot Mendelson | Bench Press, Pec Tear, Height and More
- Decline Bench Press Alternatives
- How much does Luke Voit Bench Press?
- Elbow wraps for Bench Press
- How to Pop Your Pecs
- How much does Stephen Curry Bench Press?
- Calories Burned With Bench Press
- How much can Vince Wilfork Bench press?
- How much can Tiger Woods Bench Press?
- How much does Samaje Perine bench press?
- How much does Ezekiel Elliott Bench Press?
- What is the world record for bench press?
- How to increase bench press by 100lbs?
- How to Bench press a person?
- How much does The Rock bench press?
- How much does a bench press cost?
- How many reps for a bench press?
- How heavy is a bench press bar?
- How much should I bench press for my weight?
- How to get stronger at bench press?
- What is a good bench press weight?
- How often to Bench Press?
- How much can Brock Lesnar Bench Press?
- How much do bench press bars weigh?
- Why does my shoulder hurt when I bench press?
- What muscles do decline bench press work?
- How much can Arnold Schwarzenegger Bench Press?
- What does close grip bench press work?
- How much would a gorilla bench press?
- How many sets of bench press?
- What muscle does bench press work?
- How much does John Cena bench press?
- What distinguishes push-ups from other chest exercises such as the bench press and dumbbell flies?