What muscles do decline bench press work?
The decline bench press works your lower pectoral muscles. You perform decline bench press on a bench that is set at 15 to 30 degrees on a decline. To completely work your chest, do this exercise with incline and flat bench presses.
In this article, we’ll be looking closer at the decline bench press to see how it works those muscles and what you can gain from doing it.
How does the decline bench benefit the muscles worked?
When you’re performing a decline bench, you’re easing a lot of the pressure off of your shoulders and triceps and you’re focusing it more on your chest and lower pecs.
It does this far better than your traditional bench press and incline bench press.
Whereas the traditional bench press put more of a focus on your pecs, shoulders and triceps, and incline puts more on your shoulders and upper chest – decline is mainly lower chest.
Many believe that performing the decline bench press is safer for the muscles worked. One of the most commonly associated problems users experience after a chest workout is shoulder pain.
This allows you to keep training your chest, without the added pressure on your shoulder which could lead to joint problems.
That said, you should not rely solely on decline bench press for your chest workouts. Lower pecs are good for filling out your chest if you’re aiming to build up an overall thick chest for bodybuilding, but if that’s all you’re doing and you’re not building up the other areas, it may get out of proportion.
How to work those muscles on a decline bench press?
Here’s how you can perform a decline bench press when you are in the gym to work the muscles in your lower chest.
For this you will need a decline bench press. Or if you have a spotter, you may be able to achieve this with an adjustable bench and a squat rack.
Set the bench press up on a 15 to 30 degree decline angle. Get on the bench with your feet secured at the end of it.
Get your line your eyes up with the bar, and take it off the rack with your hands slightly over shoulder width apart.
Bring the weight down to your chest, bending your elbows outward. Gently touch the bar to your chest and pause for a very brief period of time – do not rest the bar on your chest.
Next press the bar back up to the original position.
From there, repeat the repetition as many times as necessary until your set is completed.
Full Summary: What muscles does a decline bench press work for you?
A decline bench press mainly works your lower pectoral muscles, but it can also have some slight secondary effects to your triceps and shoulders.
It is considered to be one of the safer forms of bench press in the long term as it takes a lot of the pressure off your shoulder joints while pressing.
The only issue with it is that it mainly develops your lower pectorals, which when trained alone in a chest workout doesn’t have much of an impact on the overall proportion of your chest.
Always try to sprinkle in some traditional bench press and incline bench press during your chest workout for maximum benefit.
- How much can Zion Williamson Bench Press?
- How much can Captain America Bench?
- Scot Mendelson | Bench Press, Pec Tear, Height and More
- Decline Bench Press Alternatives
- How much does Luke Voit Bench Press?
- Elbow wraps for Bench Press
- How to Pop Your Pecs
- How much does Stephen Curry Bench Press?
- Calories Burned With Bench Press
- How much can Vince Wilfork Bench press?
- How much can Tiger Woods Bench Press?
- How much does Samaje Perine bench press?
- How much does Ezekiel Elliott Bench Press?
- What is the world record for bench press?
- How to increase bench press by 100lbs?
- How to Bench press a person?
- How much does The Rock bench press?
- How much does a bench press cost?
- How many reps for a bench press?
- How heavy is a bench press bar?
- How much should I bench press for my weight?
- How to get stronger at bench press?
- What is a good bench press weight?
- How often to Bench Press?
- How much can Brock Lesnar Bench Press?
- How much do bench press bars weigh?
- Why does my shoulder hurt when I bench press?
- What muscles do decline bench press work?
- How much can Arnold Schwarzenegger Bench Press?
- What does close grip bench press work?
- How much would a gorilla bench press?
- How many sets of bench press?
- What muscle does bench press work?
- How much does John Cena bench press?
- What distinguishes push-ups from other chest exercises such as the bench press and dumbbell flies?